Recipe - Al Yakhni
by Kanz & Muhul on Jun 13, 2020
Here's a quick recipe of one of the delicacies from the Kashmiri Pandit cuisine called Al Yakhni. 'Al' translates to Bottle gourd and 'Yakhni' translates to our curd based curry. Watch, cook and share with us to get featured!
1. Mustard Oil
2. Green Cardamom - 4 pods
3. Black Cardamom - 2 pods
4. Cloves - 4
5. Cinnamon Sticks - 2
6. Peppercorn - 4
7. Pinch of Heeng or 2 tsp of diluted heeng (asafoetida)
8. Curd - 1/2 kg
9. Cumin seeds (Zeera) - 1/2 tsp
10. Bay Leaf - 1
11. Saunf Powder - 1 tablespoon
12. Zeera Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
13. Coriander Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
14. Ginger Powder - 1/2 tablespoon
16. Bottle Gourd - 1
1. Grate the skin of the Bottle Gourd and cut it into big circular pieces as shown
2. Fry the Bottle Gourd in mustard oil till golden brown, use enough to immerse the vegetable in the oil. Pro tip - Add salt to the oil to reduce splattering
3. Add curd in a bowl and mix the ground spices, salt to taste and heeng; mix well to avoid lumps
4. In a pan with 5 tablespoons of mustard oil, add the whole spices. Crush the whole spices wherever possible.
5. Add the curd mix to the pan and mix thoroughly.
6. After boiling the mix, add the fried bottle gourd to it and mix well.
7. Garnish the dish with red chillies, black cumin or dried mint.